Re: migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

Am 2008-05-09 um 22:13 schrieb Paul Csanyi:
At last I have success! :D

I don't use grub-install command but run grub on the command line,
and:
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

OK, I hadn't seen this last message from you when I wrote mine, but I see that
you have had success with exactly what I was going to suggest to you.

I am just wondering if you are aware that you still need your first disk
installed to boot the second. So far, GRUB is not installed on the second disk, so if your first disk breaks, you will not (easily) be able to boot from the second disk. I am not sure about what you are doing with those two disks, but maybe it is wise to install GRUB also to the second disk, in case you
remove the first one at some point. (Or you could directly boot from the
second disk.)

By the way, if you have a floppy drive, you can install GRUB on a floppy, too, then you have a GRUB emergency disk which lets you perform operation such as those you described (in the GRUB shell) (for cases of drive failure etc.).

-Moritz