Re: Phone lines network [is it possible ? ]

On Friday 09 May 2008 06:52:11 am Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 08:52:28AM +0100, Jamie White wrote:
> > Yes it is possible, theres various devices on the market todo it.
> >
> > There is one big catch, you only usually get 10 meg links. Also the
> > devices are hard to find, I know the one I got (which I am not using
> > because it didn't work in the UK!), is 10 meg, but links to the
> > computer via USB.
>
> What's wrong with USB? USB performs as good as 100Mbit Ethernet, generally.

1.1MBit thinnet more like it.

> Anyway, people have been using DSL technologies on phone wires for quite
> some time.

Speaking from experience, it's not the ideal solution even in that case, to be
sure.  You pay way more for less bandwidth given available alternatives.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html