bigmem kernel 2.6.24-1

When I run the bigmem version of the 2.6.24-1 kernel, my machine slows to a crawl.  It does actually run, but it's shockingly slow.  5-10 minutes to boot, 5 minutes to login.  Then it runs like a Windows machine after that.

I don't really need to fix this because I can fall back to the normal version of the kernel, which runs great.

I'm just interested in what kinds of differences there could be between the bigmem version of the kernel and the standard kernel?  Is it just configuration, or is does it actually have some different parts?