Re: Clearing SWAP

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 07:43:00AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/09/08 07:33, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I use Linux because it is the most
> > stable and secure OS available in my opinion.
> I'm sure the {Free|Open}BSD crowds would more than quibble with you.

also the NetBSD ones

> And a workstation running OpenVMS was considered so unhackable at
> DEFCON9 that it wasn't allowed back the next year.

and VMS, unlike unix, since the beginning was planned with solid
security in mind. In the times where classification into A,B,C,D
security made sense, there were VMS B-certified machines (the maximum
level, except for the lack of a formal mathemetical proof of that level
of security). And Digital never had to hide the code from the eyes of
the world, so that everybody could know the quality of the code (any
reference to proprietary software widely used today, and which is not of
the same level of quality as VMS, is purely wanted).

But the point of the original phrase probably is: the most stable and
secure OS available among the ones that whoever is speaking is able to
use to get the work done.

For example, if no realtime version of VMS exists (and I suspect that it
does not exists), qnx should be preferred to VMS for realtime tasks
(anyone producing atomic enegy @home?)