Intel 965 xorg driver has done something funny

I have been away on business for a few days, and before I went aptitude
had scheduled an update of my unstable system, but I had not installed all
the new packages.  My system was in the state of being re-installed - from
a lenny DVD, which I have then changed by changing my sources.list to take
out the DVD and point only to unstable (sid) packages.

Last night when I returned, the update happened.

Now, when I start up my computer, the screen looks really strange.  All
the text is either a black or white rectangle for each letter, and icons,
seem to have a black or white background, and they too seem to be
rectangular in shape.

I thought for a while that my fonts had not been installed, but the more I
think about what has happened is as though all transparency has been lost.

Is anyone else experiencing any thing similar or is it just me?

--
Alan
(via webmail - means I am away from my computer)