Re: rdiff-backup memory problems

Hi there and thanks for your reply.

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Matthew Dale Moore
<Matthew.D.Moore@colorado.edu> wrote:
> I read you CLUG post. It seems like you should be able to do everything that
>  you want using rdiff-backup and not using your temp work directory with rsync
>  (which looks to be messing things up).

Last time I checked, rdiff-backup only works over a network if you
have rdiff-backup on the other side. This means that for Windows boxes
we would need to install Cygwin etc. If there was a simple Windows
installer for rdiff-backup (similar to DeltaCopy for rsync) it would
be another story.

Also, I don't trust rdiff-backup as much as I do rsync. It seems a bit
too complicated/fragile by comparison. Rsync is very robust, simple,
and works every time. The only reason I use rdiff-backup is because of
it's reverse delta support. I would prefer to replace rdiff-backup if
possible, rather than rsync.

And finally, we already have rsync on most of the workstations (after
a long period of phasing it in, to enable faster backups than with SMB
shares). There would need to be a strong reason to change from rsync
(on the machines being backed up) to rdiff-backup.

>  Also, if you are using rdiff-backup on backup1, why do you need to preserve
>  file history on backup2? Shouldn't the copy of backup1 on backup2 also
>  contain the rdiff-backup-data directory? If this is the case then you can
>  just use rsync to move the backup from backup1 to backup2.

This is for a few reasons:

1) I'm using the same backup script on both servers (with different
config). It would be extra work to disable the rdiff-backup part.
2) If backup1 looses data, and backup2's backup runs, I don't want to
lose the data from backup1 at that time
3) I also want to keep history for the entire backup1 (not just the
backups). This is so I can restore the entire backup1 server  as it
was X days ago if there are problems.

David