Re: sound?

Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Sun May 4 2008, Paul Cartwright wrote:
I have no idea what happened, but I seem to be missing sound. I am running
Debian Etch. I just installed xfce windows manager, but I have another
login that uses KDE. under KDE the volume control is missing, and I have no
sound. what to look for ??

I have narrowed it down some. realplayer and xmms DO play sound, Banshee, amarok, and movieplayer do NOT play sound. when I click on an AVI, totem starts, but locks up. vlc doesn't work either.

Do the /dev/dsp* dev files exist?  Are you using ALSA, as well?

I had similar issues, with both a desktop and a laptop, running Etch.

What I found in my case was that the file /etc/modprobe.conf existed but for some reason had lost the line that made it include the contents of /etc/modprobe.d directory.

Adding 'include /etc/modprobe.d' to that file solved my issue, maybe it will yours as well.

--
Bob McGowan