Re: Clearing SWAP

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 03:52:27PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> I was just trying to show another way of solving the problems.

and this is a good thing

>  My presumption was that cron was part of the LSB.

it might wery well be so, but one can disable it (in my workstation it
is installed to satify dependencies, but it does not run at boot nor in
this moment). On the contray, one cannot disable the pid=1 process

> It also got around the problem somebody asked, what to do if the Xserver
> crashed on startup,

the corrresponging thing with the inittab method is to not use respawn
or to not use a fully automated login (as I have already explained). One
can also use a respawn login, but without -f (so that inserting a
password is still required)