Can't resolve ftp.us.debian.org

On a recently restored etch server, I can't apt-get update because it
can't resolve anything in my sources.list, e.g. ftp.us.debian.org.
Right after I did a fresh etch install, update worked fine, but now
after restoring my previous files, it doesn't.  If I try to INSTALL a
package instead of UPDATE, I get a different problem.  It warns me
that it won't be able to authenticate the files.

I'm at a loss here - Can someone explain or direct me to where to look
for the problem?

Thanks - John