Re: Clearing SWAP

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 07:37:21AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> why not have a script that is run by root at @reboot that starts X

if I understand correctly, you need cron for this (and, as you note,
this also can be used for users other than root).

Since init cannot be avoided (or, more exactly, a number 1 process
directly spawned by the kernel is intrinsic to the current achitecture),
my "inittab" method is "universal" (and when the traditional init will
be replaced by something else, the method should still work using the
configuration file of the replacement of the traditional init)

Your method would not directly work in my workstation which does not run
any form of cron. (I manually, and rarely, run a script to rotate logs.
And analogously for other possible cron tasks which I am interested in)

Another difference is that init is able to automatically respawn the
process. But this is a very minor difference since with your method one
could use a "while true" cycle to automatically restart the command when
it terminates.

Probabily others would "simply" use /etc/rc.local

Or a new /etc/init.d/ script with suitable symlinks in /etc/rc?.d/ (or
suitable entries in /etc/runlevel.conf when file-rc is installed)