Re: Cannot boot any HIGHMEM kernel (kernel panic - not syncing)

Michael Elsdörfer wrote:
Have you used Linux on this machine before now?  If not, the problem may be
a hardware issue.  You may have a broken BIOS which doesn't allow the kernel
to do something it thinks it sould be able to do. Try booting with the
kernel parameters acpi=off or noapic.

Thanks for responding Mark.

Yes, as I mentioned, I had a custom debian sarge kernel running on it
previously for years. I'll give noacpi a try, but since this is a live
machine and I'll have to schedule a downtime, I'd welcome any other
suggestions anyone might have.

Michael

D'oh!  Missed the mention of Sarge.

I had some issues with certain motherboards when everyone was switching from 2.4 kernels to 2.6 kernels. Two ASUS consumer boards had broken APIC code. And recently, there appeared a virtual device driver issue in XP on another ASUS board after installing a new antivirus program. Something in the ACPI caused a conflict. The problem was a buggy BIOS. Disabling APM in the BIOS setup was the workaround.

(Of course, a better solution would be to use a different antivirus. Even better: Putting Debian on the machine, and having done with Windows. Sigh. If wishes were horses...)

--
Mark Allums