Re: Clearing SWAP

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:03:58AM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri May 2 2008, andy wrote:
> > Cheers Mike (& everyone else who has contributed). I downloaded OpenBox
> > and am running it within Gnome after rebooting. I would say that Xfce4
> > has some very serious memory holes at present - my system was just
> > grinding to a halt.
>
> well, I just switched from KDE to XFCE4 and just with a first look, it runs
> MUCH faster than KDE. On KDE, when I run klibido it uses 101% cpu useage (Duo
> Core?), yet xfce, running about the same processes ( mail, firefox,
> terminals, liferea and klibido) when I run top, klibido is only taking 10%
> CPU and I have 90% free.

I don't think anyone said that XFCE4 used as much CPU power as KDE, its
the memory thing that makes GTK2 a pain for me.  While I use Konq for
most browsing there are a couple of websites I use that have bugs that
only Iceweasel can ignore.  I need to use my big box for that, then of
course get back out of Iceweasel to a saner world.

I used to use XFCE4-terminal, since it did what I need in a way I like,
but if I left it open, away would go the memory.  Now I have mrxvt setup
to work almost the same as the XFCE4 terminal (nice fonts, tabs,
off-white background, etc) with far less memory used.

Doug.