Re: ircii question

Håkon Alstadheim <hakon@alstadheim.priv.no>:
>  s. keeling wrote:
> > Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>:
> >
> >>  What package or packages need to be installed so when I connect
> >>  to an irc server I don't get the message Ident is disabled?
> >
> > pidentd
>
>  I would also think something like inetd or xinetd would be good. Identd
>  should not need to run all the time, letting (x)inetd fire it up as
>  needed would be better.

identd is not a very fat app, but you're right.

>  Hot tip: consider carefully how much you reveal about your machine
>  through the ident service.

And another one: just lie.  Run fauxident instead and have it tell the
requestor any damn fool thing you please.  In my experience (IRC or
CVS servers), this has no repurcussions.  The requestors apparently
just want an ACK.  They don't appear to care whether it's factually
accurate or not.  Runs fine by inetd too.