Re: What can I do with an unloaded partitioned data set on Linux?

On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:11:21 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:01:15PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 05/01/08 10:50, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> > I am the proud owner of several unloaded partitioned data sets, dating
>> > back to my days on OS/360 and OS/370.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any code I could use to decode these?  I don't mean the
>> > EBCDIC-to-ASCII (or to UTF-8) conversion -- I mean the weird file format.
>> >
>> > Or documentation about this file format?
>>
>> You aren't even telling us what application generated the data.  Are
>> they FORTRAN print files, SAM/ISAM library members, etc, etc.
>>
>> I think that you'll get better results asking some mainframe-
>> oriented list or forum.
>>
>> > Or will I have to reverse-engineer it myself?  Not that that's likely to
>> > be an insurmountable task.  I just suspect that somewhere, someone has
>> > already done it.
>
> Well, Debian has a -360 list, just as it has an -amd64 list.  Don't the
> -360 people lurk here with the rest of us mere mortals?

Thanks.  I'll ask there.

> The OP can of course give us more info, but IIRC, OS/360 data sets are
> different than mere files but represent a self-contained world or data
> and applications.  The closest info I have is a old OS/400 book.  If
> there's something I can look up in that, let me know.

What would help most would be the exact file format for unloaded
partitioned data sets.  That's the file format they got converted to
when backing them up onto magnetic tape.  I've never seen that documented.

-- hendrik