Re: Debian crash randomly

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:45:40AM -0700, mond wrote:
> On Apr 30, 8:50 am, "Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <jord...@gmail.com> > wrote:
> > >  > > Unstable means that it's changing frequently *NOT* that it's more likely
> > >  > >  to crash.
> >
> > >  > Then why does it crash more in my anecdotal and unscientific experience?
> >
> > > I seems to me that you are the only one that complains that it always crashes,
> > >  so either it's your hardware or your experience that's problematic ;-)

It may be a software bug specific to particular hardware configuration.
Let's not discourage people.  This kind of situation happens alwasy.  It
was fair and reasonable to ask.

> > Then you haven't noticed that this thread was started by Mond, who was
> > also complaining of frequent and unpredictable crashes?
> >
> Some update:
>
> With latest xserver-xorg-core update, it seems that there is no crash.
> Also, I made some changes to my xorg.conf according the source I
> mentioned before.
>
> My system has been running for about one day, no crash yet.

Congraturation!

> Anyway, sid is stable enough, I think, if you don't dist-upgrade
> everyday.

Problem caused by transition of some fundamental packages such as,
kernel, xserver-xorg-core, initramfs-tools, are difficult to track down
and work around.

I scratched my head recently when I lost network configuration.  No one
was complaining but was bug in particular kernel package affecting intel
Macs.

> Many thanks,

It did not seem that you had set your system as dual boot.  If you want
to do dist-upgrade every day, having different working system with
infrequently contents  should help you recover quickly.  Sometime,
waiting bug fix for few weeks are the best fix for most of us.

Osamu