Re: wine: Problem running some programs

Paul Johnson wrote the following on 04/29/2008 02:33 PM:
On Tuesday 29 April 2008 11:31:23 am Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Still don't find wine really usable. So far can't
adjust the resolution and for some reason some programs
just won't install. Well, they install, but won't run
afterward.

Which programs, specifically? Have you checked the WineHQ AppDB to see if there's a trick to make it work?

Specifically? Don't remember. I gave up after the fifth or sixth one.

Looking for "tricks" for every windows program I have to install another program to run in wine really isn't worth it.

FileZilla from Windows seems to work good though. That was my first trial.

That brings up the question, "Why use a compatability layer when there's [a zillion tools that do the same thing natively|a native port]?" You only did that for testing purposes and not because you didn't search for filezilla in Debian, right? :o)

Well, the question makes an incorrect assumption. Generally it is "a similar thing". There wasn't any FZ for non-windows when I first tried it. And then when one finally came around it really wasn't FZ, just a GUI for running native ftp with no site manager as I remember. The newest one is closer to the original FZ but has no memory for the screen format. It takes me several minutes to get the rows and columns stretched out so I can see a useful amount of information. So I generally use FireFTP.

But now I have discovered that every ftp program I have tried that has its genesis in windows still put DOS line endings on when they download. Including FireFTP.

I sure would like to see a Pagemaker equivalent that is as good as OpenOffice is to Word/xcel/etc. and GIMP is to PhotoShop. Both OO and GIMP are the superior packages for my money.

As for most of the other windows things I use, what's in Windows can stay in windows now that I have discovered VirtualBox.