Re: Debugging a java programme

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 06:13:29PM +0100, andy wrote:
Hello

I tried to run a java-based programme on a Lenny machine. This is what happened:

$ java jgraphpad-6.0.4.1-gpl.jar

you need to specify that you are trying to run a /jar file. try:

java -jar jgraphpad-6.0.4.1-gpl.jar

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jgraphpad-6.0.4.1-gpl.jar
  at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.90)

the jvm is trying to run a java class called jgraphpad-0.6....jar
which isn't a proper java class... the above -jar switch should fix it
up.

this assumes that you actually have a properly specified jar file that
is designed to be run this way. It may not be. You could just unjar it and inspect it for more details.
jar -xvf jgraph<Tab>

cd into the directory and look around.
Hi all

At work today I downloaded and ran the emsim.jar program and on an XP machine it ran perfectly. What I don't understand is how, when Java was created to be platform independent, does it crash and burn on Debian where I have (AFAIK) all of the relevant program libraries, but on XP it does what it is supposed to do.

How do I go about checking out what libraries this Java program needs and which of those my Debian installation can satisfy?

TIA

Andy the frustrated