Re: `pr' command

On 04/28/2008 09:04 AM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
On 04/27/2008 10:07 AM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

I want to set at my pleasure the page margins when printing a document edited
with gedit, but apparently this seems not be possible.  Is there anyone who
has any experience with problem?

"Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> writes:

The "pr" command may be of help to you.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Well, it's strange: if I do:

 $ pr filename

, the chinese characters included in the document are wonderfully shown on the
terminal; but if I do:

 $ pr filename | lp

, they are not printed.

Any idea of how to work the problem out?  I have Debian Etch.

Thanks indeed
Rodolfo

Evidently your printer doesn't have Chinese glyphs built-in :-)

Use Abiword instead of pr and gedit. Abiword will create a nice Postscript file that will contain rendered versions of the Chinese characters. The printer will be able to handle that.