Re: Phone lines network [is it possible ? ]

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:01:19 -0500
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

> Kevin Mark wrote:
> >
> > In the same vein, you can also utilize wifi and powerline ethernet.
> > I use wifi and it can go through some material(wood, plasterboard) and
> > covers open spaces.  You can also set up various parabolic antennas to
> > connect distant points. Powerline ethernet works by sending ethernet
> > over the mains in your structure. Not sure of how relaible it is, as
> > I've never used it.
> > HTH
> > -K
>
> I have used powerline networking, and it is fairly reliable, but really
> suffers in speed at times.  WiFi is to be preferred, I think.  Also, it
> has security issues.  If two powerline networks are sharing the same
> circuits (power from the same transformer, such as two houses in the
> same neighborhood, or separate apartments in the same building) traffic
> on it must be encrypted, so no advantage there, over WiFi.  It is
> subject to the vagaries of a typical modern household, with all of the
> interference from motors starting, etc.

My cousin used (I think he still does but not sure) a phone line adapter. It's
good for home and possibly soho usage but I guess anything more then 2 or 3
machines will probably be too much. Its an adaptor that connects to the phone
line but I don't recall right now if it's ethernet or usb (possibly usb since I
guess it needs power). I can find out if you want.

Its called hpna, have a look at
http://www.homenethelp.com/network/phoneline.asp

I don't know if it can go across the local switchboard  but I guess that it
might. It should pass to the next house though since you have your own line to
the local switchboard (building/few houses) and from there the data is combined
for going onward and band limited, I'm guessing enough to ruin the info but
can't guaranty anything.

the local phone company offered this option for a while but didn't make much
noise about it. It wasn't cheap though. About 100$ for an adaptor and 200$ for
an adsl/hpna modem.

It's simple to setup, but if you don't have thick walls/floors that stop
wireless it will be more versatile. With wpa2 encryption it should also be
secure enough. Another option if you need good network is to thread the house
with cat cables, would require a switch, but that is not too expansive.