Re: Can't record in audacity

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 18:19:50 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> > >    At the moment Alsa default for both recording and playback. But I
> > > have tried all the selections for recording which are available in
> > > that box and none works. Alsa default allows me to record but its just
> > > noise, not the input from the mike. All the others give me a "error
> > > opening device" dialogue box. Strange thing is it works in Ubuntu
> > > Gutsy and I am embarrassed to say the mike also works fine on my
> > > wife's XP box.
> >
> > Check in your /dev directory for /dev/dsp.  I have playback and record
> > set to /dev/dsp, channels to 2 and select "software playthrough".  That
> > does work for me.  Can you choose those settings?  Have you looked at
> > the alsamixer settings and turned things on?
>
>    Been there. Tried that. /dev/dsp works for playback as does Alsa
> default...but for record..nothing works including /dev/dsp. Most of the
> selections for recording produce the " can't open device error". I am
> totally baffled because Audacity works out of the box on Ubuntu Gutsy and
> Windows XP. How much of a difference can there be between Debian Sid/Lenny
> and Gutsy ??

You'll have to tell us...

Run these commands on the Debian install:

cat /dev/sndstat > sndstat-debian.txt
cat /proc/asound/cards > cards-debian.txt
amixer > amixer-debian.txt
grep '.*' /sys/module/snd_*/parameters/* > modparams-debian.txt

Then do the same on the Ubuntu system to generate the equivalent
*-ubuntu.txt files. Compare the pairs of corresponding files (e.g. with
"diff -u") and post the results here.

          Florian   |