Re: Disabling Iceweasel plugins

Hi.

L'octidi 8 floréal, an CCXVI, Brad Rogers a écrit :
> This prompted me to look at a couple of things.  It seems that you can
> create profiles for Iceweasel by calling it with the -ProfileManager
> option.  If you create a profile without plugins, or whatever, you can
> then call Iceweasel with the -p <profilename> option.  Should work from
> a script in ~/bin.

It's -P, actually, not -p. Using several profiles works perfectly. This is
how I can run several instances of Iceweasel at the same time (the default
one without plugins, one with plugins), because it is not possible tu run
the same profile in several instances at the same time.

But plugins are completely unrelated to profiles. Plugins are searched in a
few directories at startup, including /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/,
~/.mozilla/plugins/ and $MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH. To be able to enable or disable
them at will, I put them in ~/.mozilla/plugins-burk, and I set
$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH to that path if I want to.

The problem is that if a file is present in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/, as
far as I know, it _will_ be loaded as a plugin.

I tried another method: I tried to divert the plugins directory,
unfortunately:

sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins-available \
/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins
dpkg-divert: Cannot divert directories

I could divert all files in the directory, but that would not be robust.

Maybe I should submit a feature-wish bug to the Iceweasel package and/or the
plugin packages.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George