Re: OT (slightly) swap limits

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
Being in an interview loop looking for employment, I find I am asked questions I never considered, for example: How much is enough swap?

<snip>

Here is another perspective:

For modern harddisks with read data rate around 100 MB/s it takes 10 s
per GB swap to re-read its contents. RAM on the other side is cheap
to buy today. Swap space is just a reserve in case the system gets out
of RAM. If this happens in the typical application range of a system the
RAM should be expanded. Otherwise, the system will slow down unbearable,
if (part of) jobs are paged in and out permanently. The processor will
wait most of the time for the harddisk.
--
Regards,
Jörg-Volker.