Re: /dev/null > /dev/sdb1 !

So, I think that the command 'cat /dev/null > /dev/hdd' did nothing to your system. Maybe something else?

i also don't know, it happen after i run that command. There is a lot of error message displayed
in the screen. But i am not surprise if it is because of something else - coincident thing happen right?.

Or simply because the hard disk it quite old. I buy it second hand because my bios only
support 2GB. That hard disk is quite rare nowadays. And if it dies, now might be the right
time for the hard disk but not the right time for me though. =p

but i think, Bob McGowan give the best explanation for me. I am satisfied with his reasoning,
enough for me not to mess up with any simple and innocent look.

>The issue is not with cat or /dev/null, it's what the shell does when it sees '>':  open the file, >for writing, start at offset 0 (or, truncate the file).

>But, the system has opened the destination "file", in this case a device, and done >whatever the device driver is coded to do for this case.

Thanks everyone..