Re: Copying a complete root parition over a network cable for a new install

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 02:59:37PM +0300, Micha wrote:
> Since these are two laptops, moving the hardrive  over won't work so I need to
> do it over the network. What would be the best way to do this? Should I boot
> the new laptop with ubuntu or something or do a base debian install?

you can boot the other laptop with a live cd which has sshd and rsync

Then partition the disk, create the filesystems (and the swap partition,
if any), mount them in the correct place. Say, the / partition is
mounted in /mnt the the home partition in /mnt/home and so on.

Then configure sshd to accept connections as root from your laptop.

> Is there a
> better way, and how do I make sure that the permissions and owners don't change
> and that /proc, /sys, /dev etc. are not copied?

As root on your laptop:

rsync -e ssh -vaczISH --stats --numeric-ids -x / root@$IP-OF-THE-OTHER-LAPTOP:/mnt/

rsync -e ssh -vaczISH --stats --numeric-ids -x /home/ root@$IP-OF-THE-OTHER-LAPTOP:/mnt/home/

and so on