Re: /dev/null > /dev/sdb1 !

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 24/04/2008, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
 I hate to suggest this >donning fire-retardant suit< but you might borrow a
WinXP machine long enough to run the Computer Management disk tool on your

Flame on!

If all that happened, likely, is that the partition table got trashed,
there are ways to recover it with parted and have parted figure out or
guess what the partition should be. All it needs is a rough guess of
where the partition should begin and end.

     http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html#SEC24

Give that MSFT junk back to the Dark Lord in his Dark Throne.

- Jordi G. H.

The user in trouble seems to be a newbie. Using parted is not for newbies. My suggestion is just a way to get him started. You might also note that I suggested that there might be other alternatives to this. All he needs is to get the partition table written properly, assuming the drive is not actually toast. MS Computer management disk tool can do this. It calls it "initializing the disk" Or something like that. Debian can do it too, assuming that the user can sort out the correct command.

--
Mark Allums