Re: External IP

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 10:12:41 pm Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
> I can see that you're running behind a router or something similar. If you
> want to use a shell script to return the IP to the stdout, you could
> probably use 'curl'.
I have this feeling that my last response to this thread never made it through
or something. ;)

curl *definitely* works with shell scripts, and like I pointed out,
www.whatismyip.org (not .com) is specifically designed for tools such as
curl. Running that URL as the argument for curl will return only the current
machine's public IP address, with no extra formatting or HTML messiness.
Thus, it is the ideal way of getting this output cleanly. It can even be used
as input, e.g.:
nmap $(curl www.whatismyip.org)

Lee