Re: Strange window problem

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:38:06AM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:57:08 +0200
> NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> > >     * From: Frank <debian@videotron.ca>
> > >For the past week or so I noticed an empty window which pops up
> > try htop or pstree or many other similar tools
>   As far as I can see neither show anything unususal,

If *really* you can identify all processes as shown by, say, htop in
tree mode run by root, and you are sure than none of them gives the
unusual window, then either your box has been hacked or you have found a
big bug (in htop or the kernel), or the process is really run by another
host and only connects to your X server (but then you should see the
connection with netstat, either directly as tcp connection, or as a tcp
ssh connection plus a unix socket). Also note that the xkill man page
suggests at the end xwininfo

So I would double ckeck. Closing all not indispensable processes might
help, as also using tree mode (the window should be in the tree of
processes after the Xserver process, and the parent processes might give
an idea of which process spawned the window process. Unless the window
has been orphaned)