Re: /dev/null > /dev/sdb1 !

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 09:32:38 paragasu wrote:
> i don't know what technical explanation behind this but i just found out,
> my hard disk  die after i run this command.  the hard disk cannot be
> recognized
> by udev (i am using sysresccd) and the hard disk produce error media error,
> IO error, and many cryptic character i don't really like to see.

Hard disks don't produce characters, cryptic or otherwise.  What command
did you run that produced cryptic characters from your hard disk?

First you said you did "/dev/null >/dev/sdb1".  Then you said that you
did "$cat /dev/null >/dev/sdb1".  Unless you've seriously messed with
permissions or made yourself a member of the disk group then neither of
these would have any effect.

You want to tell us now that you did "#cat /dev/null >/dev/sdb1"?

You want to tell us why?

You want to tell us what state your drive was in before you did this?

You want to tell us why what /dev/sda is and what /dev/sdb is and
the content of your /etc/fstab?

--Mike Bird