Re: /dev/null > /dev/sdb1 !

It could be either.  The command you typed effectively formatted the
disk.

/dev/null contains no data. It is the Linux equivalent of a black
hole.  If you send the output of /dev/null to a file (which is exactly
what you have done) with a single chevron (>), it will overwrite
anything that exists in that file (in this case the entire contents of
your disk).  If you use a double chevron (>>) you will append the
contents of /dev/null to the end of the file (in this case, your disk).

All I can say is "I hope you took a backup..."

Kind regards,

Matt

well, is that so simple to format the hardisk? format is ok as long as it doesn't render
my hard disk useless.