Re: Getting debian to ignore hdb on bootup

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:16:35AM +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:55:30PM +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> >> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro hdb=noprobe
> I tried both hdb=noprobe and hdb=none but the boot up
> routine paid absolutely no attention. The same problem persists. Is there
> any other place I could tell the bootup routine to ignore hdb?

Besides the already proposed /etc/fstab (but you said that you already
checked), you could furter develop Ron Johnson's suggestion by manually
check the scripts in /etc/init.d/ (or even everything started by
/etc/inittab )

The fact that you error message explicilty uses hdb1 suggests for a

grep -r hdb1 /etc/
grep -r hdb /etc/
grep -r hd /etc/init.d/
grep -r partitions /etc/init.d/ # is someting parsing /proc/partitions ?
grep -r fdisk /etc/init.d/ # is someting parsing fdisk -l ?
less /etc/rc.local

and so on (for example, one possibility is the hdparm script. Other
possibilities incude scripts for lvm, cryptsetup, software raid, ...)

Also, the surrounding messages (after and before the hdb1 error messages)
can help to understand at which point of the boot process the error happens,
and so to undertsnd which files you need to change

Returning to the hdb=noprobe and hdb=none options for the kernel: they
do their job when the ide support is builtin in the kernel. But if such
a support is modular (and then loaded by the initrd, since you say that
root=/dev/hda1) then you should pass these options not to the kernel,
but to the modprobe / insmod command which, inside the initrd, loads the
ide module (and in particolar, you should rebuild the initrd). As
suggested by the link, Documentation/ide.txt (and
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt) inside kernel sources (or debian
pakages for linux-doc-2.6.*) has more details (in this momen I am not
able to surely locate the name of the module, but I suspect ide-core).

See also

   Linkname: Linux-Kernel Archive: Re: ide0=noprobe, hda=noprobe, hda=none ignored?

found with

 hdb=none - Google Search
 http://www.google.com/search?q=hdb%3Dnone&num=100