Re: Which backup package?

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Greetings;

It is time that I started getting serious about backing up my systems. I have nine systems on my network, one will be used just for backup & restore (Debian/lenny)

Do you intend to backup to tape? Unless amanda has improved a lot in the last few years, I'd recommend bacula. I switched from amanda to bacula and have been much happier. My complaint with amanda was that it didn't support our tape library at all (a 22 tape library) and we had to configure the library so it used a new tape every day. bacula does support tape libraries well and uses the tapes much more efficiently. It stores the backed up files in a database and so during a restore will be able to find the correct tape(s) in a multi-tape backup set to load to get the files you request. The cool thing about this is that it doesn't associate a tape with a particular backup job, and so is able to fill up the tape as backups are done over time. I don't know the status of development on amanda any more, but bacula is being actively maintained.