Re: What are proper permissions for home directory?

On Sunday 20 April 2008 07:33:33 pm Owen Townend wrote:
> On 21/04/2008, Dylan Garrett <dylan.garrett@gmail.com> wrote:
> >What should the permissions of the files in my home directory be?
> Hey,
>   The default is 755 though it is common to use 750 for a little privacy.
>   IIRC the warning displays if you have the write bit set for anyone but
> you.
This is true. The only question I have is whether the script modified the
permissions recursively, in which case the warnings would be explained. Many
of the hidden config files in the user's home root are supposed to be 644 or
600. In some cases, wrong permissions on those files can all but brick the
account.