Re: Installing testing on a premade volume

No need to CC me; I obviously read the lists (well, one of them anyway).

On Sunday 20 April 2008, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
> Yes, but the problem is that the partition is /dev/hdd, not /dev/hdd1.

Sounds to me like a mistake was made when the filesystem was created.
It was apparently created by running 'mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdd' instead of
'mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdd1', which probably means that the partition table
information was destroyed.

It also means, if you want to keep the existing data on /dev/hdd, that you
cannot "repartition" that device using partman, nor install Debian to that
drive. You'll have to fix the error first by saving your data somewhere,
create a proper partition table and then copy the data back to a partition.

Maybe it is possible to do all this while keeping the data on hdd, but I
would not bet on it and I certainly don't know how.

> The partitioner is incapable of recognizing /dev/hdd as an ext3 volume,
> and the install base system refuses to proceed without the partitioner
> giving the go-ahead.

That is correct. The installer does not support unpartitioned devices, so
you cannot install Debian to /dev/hdd. Installing Debian to it in the
current situation would destroy the existing data and, as you said you
wanted to keep the data, that seems like a bad move.

Cheers,
FJP