Re: iptables rule for streaming

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 10:05:26AM +0200, Shams Fantar wrote:

> I'm writing the iptables rules for a machine, a desktop, so, on this
> machine, the users can listen to streaming (like the BBC, or other
> radios...). Therefore, I need to open the good ports to allow the use of
> streaming. And I can't write this rule because I don't know the ports
> used by streaming... And I believe that ports can be very different
> depending on the radio.

You only need to worry about it if you want to block *outgoing*
connections. I have a "DROP all incoming/ALLOW all outgoing" type setup
on my systems and I can listen to internet radio without problems (in
fact it runs almost 24/7).

Some people might consider my "ALLOW all outgoing" to be too lax, but I
am the only user and I only install programs from Debian sources.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)