Re: Slow video on debian sid

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 16:22:51 -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
> I don't know exactly when this started, but my debian notebook is slow
> on changing screens and programs. I alt+tab to switch programs and the
> screen takes a while to rebuild. I mean, its not like its obviously
> broken or buggy, but its enough to annoy. I use kde, and noticed
> non-kde programs do this more than kde programs. Switching back to
> konqueror is ok, switching to iceweasel or icedove takes a moment.
> Switching to openoffice does take a moment. Sometimes I release
> alt+tab but the window menu list keeps showing in the screen, needs an
> extra 'tab' to go away.
> System is an updated debian sid, in an Acer 5570z, 1.73GHz Pentium
> dual core T2080, 2GB mem. Video card is Intel950, xorg driver is
> 'intel'. 128MB video memory set in the bios. Its got the 3D accel
> working ok, I can do googleearth and compiz, etc. But the real problem
> is indeed switching programs. xorg.conf goes below.
> Thanks for any input!
>
> bruno@neutron:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

[...]

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "intel950"
>         Driver          "intel"
>        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
>        VideoRam        128000
>         Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
>         Option          "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
> EndSection

Try to add this line to the "Device" section:

Option          "AccelMethod"   "XAA"

The intel driver started to activate the new acceleration architecture
(EXA) by default a while ago. I have two computers with Intel graphics
(855GM and 965Q, respectively) and for both systems I find that using
XAA (the older acceleration architecture) makes my display redraw
noticeably faster. Maybe it also helps with the 950 chipset.

[...]

> PS:
> To comply with the lists rules, I must say I don't subscribe to it.

(That is fine, of course, but note that you have to state it explicitly
 if you want to be CC'd.)

          Florian   |