Re: moving /usr, /var, and /etc

Antony wrote:
I have a Debian system on really small Flash memory like an embed system. A hard drive is mounted onto the system. I want to add more processes to the system like mail server. But the problem is /usr, /var, /etc are running out of space on the Flash memory. I'm planning to do the following:

- make /usr, /var, /etc, /home directories on the mounted hard drive.
- copy /usr, /var, /etc, /home original directories to new created directories.
- edit /etc/fstab to mount these directories to new created locations.
- remove the old /usr, /var, /etc, /home directories.

Is that unsafe to do so?
Do files in these directories being accessed before mounting from /etc/fstab?

Others have noted issues with moving /etc

I would suggest that you do all this in single user mode, to begin with.

And, once you have the 3 systems copied and fstab updated, reboot.

Then, if all is well, you can remove the original directories on the flash drive.

If something unexpected happens, you should be able to boot to single user mode again (if there was a boot problem, you may well be there or in a busybox init shell, already), and work on it.

--
Bob McGowan