Re: Nis problem

Arvind Marathe wrote:
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <ekalin@gmail.com> wrote:
Stephane Durieux wrote:
 > Hello
 >
 > I am encountering a problem with a nis server.
 > Local root on client  can do  su  user  without  giving  the password
 > of the user.
 >
 > root squashing is enabled.
 >
 > What can I do

<-snip->

I am facing the same problem and haven't found any solution.

As far as I know, there isn't a solution. NIS+NFS is an easy setup at the expense of offering no real security.

NFS design assumes that client's root user can be trusted. As long as you have root on the client machine, you have access to the user files on the NFS export. This is the same with, or without NIS.

Basically, NFS takes the numeric UID the client supplies and matches it against permissions on the files. The only exception is the "root squash" option which takes UID 0 (root) and remaps it to a guest account with no access.

Using LDAP instead of NIS may be the solution, but I don't have any practical experience with this.

Hope this helps,

George.