Re: removed root directory files

On 17/04/2008, Abraham Chaffin <abrahamchaffin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> Bit of a problem here - I ran rm /*
> It didn't remove the directories obviously but now no commands work but cd

cd is a bash-builtin, that's why it works. "echo", "type", "cat", etc
also work, I suppose.

> I was wanting to run ./*
> Now if I ls I get
> -su: /bin/ls: No such file or directory

I suppose the /bin/ls file still is OK (test by "cd /bin; echo *", you
should see ls as one of the many commands listed), but either
/lib/ld-linux.so or some other library has gone. That is strange, as
just typing "rm /*" should not remove anything but files in / , so I
suspect you actually typed something else than "rm /*"

>  Help much appreciated.

Insert debian boot CD, boot, mount your root partition of harddisk,
and inspect it.
Maybe you only removed a few files from /lib, you might be able to
copy them from the boot disk /lib. But I suppose a re-install of
Debian would be safer (or wait till someone else has a better idea on
this list).