Re: creating a ProDOS boot diskette

On Thursday 17 April 2008, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 07:54:19AM +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 01:04:14AM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > Hal
> > > (Who still misses his Apple //e with a *fully socketed*
> > > motherboard, a whopping 5 MB hard drive and who actually enjoyed
> > > programming in 6502 Assembler!)
> >
> > ooh, you're making me misty-eyed.  That 6502 Assembler _was_ fun.
> > And the excitement when the upgrade card to 64MB arrived...
>
> Oops, I mean KB of course.

I started with a //e with 64k on board because I just couldn't see why
anyone would need as much as 128k (I had just a standard 80 column
card).  Then I got an Applied Engineering card that would give 3/4 of a
meg of memory later.  At first I liked it, but found that AE had some
crappy policies -- they acted like a company built by the stereotypical
engineer with no social skills that didn't understand that customers
with cards that had issues with some //e boards would want to return
them.  I switched over and got a 1MB card from another company (can't
remember which one) and it worked like a dream.  I wrote a small shell
in ProDOS that I could run each morning when I started up that would
create a RAM drive on the card and copy all my files over to it while I
was reading the paper and swapping the discs as it asked for them.

Back then it was possible to know the firmware on the computer and all
the OS calls like the back of your hand.  I miss that.

Hal