gdm/kdm/wdm-problem: wrong rc.init order?

Over the last few years I have found this on several Debian computers
and occasionaly also on an Ubuntu PC:

When booting to a graphical user interface using the displaymanagers
mentioned in the subject line, I end up with a computer that does not
respond to any keyboard action on the login screen.  My workaround
lately is to then use the mouse to select the xmcd-chooser, cancel it
when it comes up and then I can login.  Otherwise I just configure my
computer not to start up with one of those display managers and use
startx or start one of them by hand. (eg. /etc/init.d/gdm start).

I suppose this is a bug, but that is not the case on every
computer.  I have Debian Lenny on two PC's and on a laptop and it is
only happening on one PC.  Both PC's in this case using 64-bit setups.

Any idea on what is causing it?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to
      become the sons of God, even to them that believe on
      his name."    John 1:12