Re: Lenny d-i and KDE

On Thursday 17 April 2008 03:19:28 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:29:42PM +0100, Michael C wrote:
> > Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> >>
> >> The net install includes only the base system. It does not come with
> >> KDE, it'll have to be installed later via the internet or other more
> >> difficult means.
> >
> > Oh I see ;) -- I'd envisaged something akin to Etch's net installer
> > (which presented an option to download and install the Gnome desktop)
> > from when it was still the Testing branch.
>
> there is an option to select the "Desktop" task, but I don't know that
> it differentiates between flavors of desktop. I haven't installed in
> quite a while now, so I can't speak to that. You should investigate
> the `tasksel` command as that's the one that allows these selections.
>
> Of course, you could just install the base system and then use your
> favorite package manager to install the desktop/wm of your choice.

Usually, if you go in expert mode, ie enter at the boot prompt:
expert tasks="standard, kde-desktop"
you should get a system with kde on it. But it is/was broken lately, and would
give you a gnome + kde desktop.
See here:
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata

where you get this:

KDE and Xfce CDs also install GNOME
    This is due to a change in tasksel for which we've neglected to update the
tools used to build CD images. It is possible to work around this issue by
booting the installer with an extra option: install desktop=kde, or install
desktop=xfce.
    The problem has already been fixed for weekly built CD images.

Thierry