Re: taming resolv.conf

Combining the responses to the previous to posters...

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:37:30PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:08:08PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > Not quite. I only want the static information in the interfaces file.
> > I still want the nameserver address that is supplied by DHCP to be
> > used.
> >
> > I do know how to hardwire a nameserver and IP address if I am not
> > using DHCP, but resolvconf is not really so necessary in that
> > situation.
>
> I don't think the static dns server in the interfaces file will override
> the DHCP provided one, but I can't tell for sure. You will have to read
> the resolvconf docs for this.

I hope it didn't sound like I hadn't bothered to read any documentation ;)

My understanding is that one of the main functions of resolvconf is to
deal with multiple sources of DNS information (such as a mixture of HDCP
and static interfaces in one system) and to merge all the server
addresses and domains into a single resolv.conf - rather than have
the last interface that is brought up to over write the data from
the earlier ones.

Consequently, whilst in my case it is using a sledge hammer to crack a
nut, I seems to be that it should be able to do what I want. That is,
to merge the information obtained by dhcp with a static search domain.

AND...

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:30:39PM -0500, Michael Shuler wrote:
> Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > My /etc/resolv.conf file looked ok, except the DHCP server in my
> > router provides nameserver IP only, no search list.
> >
> > Any suggestions? I do like the idea of having any static nameserver
> > information in the /etc/network/interfaces file with the rest of
> > the network config, so resolvconf would be good if it worked as
> > expected....
>
> I do this all in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - custom prepended domains for
> search, as well as superseding some rather useless caching resolvers in
> favor of another pair.  Works regardless of whether I use the interfaces
> file, resolvconf, NetworkManager, etc., which all use dhclient in the
> end.  Hope that helps!

Thanks. That might be a workaround. Although I don't think it is ideal
because:

1. I am setting up four systems, and only two are using dhcp. The others
are servers on the local lan, and hence will have static ip addresses.

2. I was hoping to hoping to make these systems fairly interchangeable and
potable, with all of the network configuraiton customizing localized to
the /etc/network/interfaces file..

So I would really like to get to the bottom of why resolvconf is not
honouring the dns server address obtained by dhcp if at all possible.

Regards,
DigbyT