Re: Question about how "aptitude search" is used

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:57:48PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:38:46AM +0900, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> was heard to say:

> > You need to tell in NEWS file that local scripts need to add "~n" before
> > serch string to make it act as before under the new version.
>
>   My question was: are there any such local scripts?  It seems possible
> to me that someone might have written a script that uses aptitude this
> way, but I had trouble coming up with an actual reason I'd do that,
> especially since the output from "aptitude search" is notably bad for
> scripting.

I've hesitated to respond for just this issue. I can't come up with
any good reason to script an aptitude search. Mainly because, what the
heck would you do with the output in a script? If you parse the output
to find a particular package, that sort of implies that you already
know what the package is and could just (install|hold|purge|whatever)
it anyway without bothering to search for it.

I'm sure now I'll be called out and several will pipe up with myriad
uses for aptitude search in a script... but that would be good as it's
what you want.

IOW, IMO, I think you're pretty safe to move ahead. Probably a direct
email to Florian Kuzler would suffice since he seems to be the master
of arbitrarily complex aptitude search expressions....