Re: Source code editor

On 15/04/2008, Tero Mäntyvaara <termant@gmail.com> wrote:
I am looking for shell program for source code edition. I have used nano, but it isn't enough. I need more "real" IDE like functionalities eg constant view of current row number, file browser and selection, cutting, pasting and copying functions. I also tried to use motor, but I got segmentation fault after execution... :-/ I am using Etch.

Hey,
  Try vim, once you get your head around the way it works it is an immensely powerful editor. There are many 'cheat sheet' type reference sheets available if you google a bit which, when stuck to a nearby wall, help out as you get started.
  Once you are comfortable with vi syntax there are a few other places where it comes in handy such as less/more (navigation and searching) and on the commandline (`set -o vi`).

cheers,
Owen.

p.s.
<flamebait?>
I've never tried emacs, but I'm told it would make a very good operating system but for the lack of a decent editor.
</flamebait>

Tero Mäntyvaara