Re: sidux

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:04:48 +0100
Michael C <sieverfrisch@yahoo.ie> wrote:

Many swear seem to swear by sidux, though its claim to turn "unstable
into a stable and reliable operating system for every-day usage" seems
at odds with common sense, especially given its own advice to avoid
dist-upgrades in the middle of "serious work" because "any package in
sid can break at any time, and any person can be the first to discover
it, especially if it is not a standard sidux package."

I'm obviously never going to get a considered, impartial appraisal
from their forum and IRC channel, so has anyone here tried sidux only
to find that Testing was better suited to their desktop needs?

Regards,

Michael

If you want to run a "stable" version of Debian "Unstable/Testing", why
not use Ubuntu?

Two things, really.

(i) Mediocre quality assurance -- remember the JMicron show-stopper that
evidently hadn't been resolved by the time of 7.04's release (unlike
PCLinuxOS, which specifically delayed its release by several weeks until
the issue *was* resolved).

There's a rather nice article by Sam Varghese summarizing why I won't be
installing 8.04 in a hurry: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17601/1154/

(ii) Its easy-going relationship to proprietary junk.

As I understand it, Ubuntu takes the Testing repos and
makes them a bit more stable, then releases them.

I was under the impression their code base is a stabilized snapshot of Sid.

Best,

Michael