Re: sidux

On 14 Apr 2008, Haines Brown wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I wanted to put Debian on a new Thinkpad X61s, and to achieve that with
> minimal pain, I went with sidux. I created a USB-stick to install it,
> and it went as smooth as can be. I'm using the machine with wifi.
>
> All hitches were simply the result of my ignorance. The applications
> I've installed (not many so far because I started with only a base
> system), work fine. I don't bother with any desktop manager, but use
> fluxbox instead.
>
> --

I used Sidux for about 3 months after I bought a Thinkpad Z61M last
year. This was because I had difficulty getting Debian to recognize the
sound and other hardware. Things worked well for a time but when the
wireless changed from ipw3945 to iwlwifi I could no longer connect to
the internet. I then went back to Debian Sid and this time everything
worked fine.

I had a good impression of Sidux until the last-mentioned problem arose.
One warning: the installation CD is quite difficult to make correctly
and the last time I tried it didn't work properly. I'd say give it a try
by all means, but I find the Debian install system is much better now
and there's no reason not to use it.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk