Re: Fwd: Packages temporarily disappearing from Testing/Lenny

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 07:01:55PM -0700, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >  But if an app is removed from a repository, apt won't tell you.
> >  deborphan might, though.
>
> Understood so far.
>
> But this isn't very helpful:
>
> dfox@m206-157:/tmp$ deborphan xmms
> xmms
>
> And aptitude why-not xmms doesn't say anything other than "the package
> xmms was manually installed". But it's got dependencies, and perhaps
> one of those pulled it in. I can't remember if I explicitly asked for
> it. Perhaps I did.

  aptitude why-not <foo> only tells you who conflicts with <foo>.  I
guess you mean "why"?

  When it says xmms was manually installed, it means that it doesn't
think xmms is an automatic package.  You could ask it who else requires
xmms with something like

    aptitude why '~i!~M~n^xmms$' xmms

  .

  Daniel