Fwd: Packages temporarily disappearing from Testing/Lenny

Oops, I meant that to go to the list, sorry David.

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:35 PM, David <wizzardx@gmail.com> wrote:
 > Hi list.
 >
 >  Something I've noticed with Testing/Lenny is that packages often
 >  disappear for a short period (a few days or weeks) and then reappear.
 >  A few current examples: xmms and nvidia-glx. If you look on

 I find that odd as well, since I am running Lenny (was running etch
 whilst it was still the testing branch) and I have xmms available. If
 the packages were going to be removed, wouldn't an aptitude
 dist-upgrade flag it and/or attempt the removal? It has done so for
 other packages, libraries for instance that are never used anymore.

 For instance:

 xmms:
  Installed: 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1
  Candidate: 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1
  Version table:
  *** 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

 Seems to tell me that it is there, but there is no update or package
 available, If I read that correctly.

 The list of reverse depends follows:

 xmms
 Reverse Depends:
  xmms-mp3cue
  xmms-mac
  bemused-xmms
  peercast-handlers
  imms
  education-music
  education-desktop-other
  peercast-handlers
  kvirc2
  hotkeys
  gdesklets-data
  |fvwm-crystal
  extace
  education-music
  education-desktop-other

 I suppose I can remove xmms; I don't use it much. I tried removing it
 before, but that was during the etch testing cycle, IIRC. And it
 couldn't be removed as far as I remember because of dependency issues.

 For what it is worth, a good replacement for xmms is
 'beep-media-player' although others will have their preferences. I do
 have that installed.