Re: [OT] reStructured Text real world usage

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:34:00PM -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

> On 12-Apr-08, at 6:16 PM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> >>I actually use a wiki currently -  tiddlyWiki - and I edit the text
> >>in it with Vim using the It's All Text plugin for Firefox.
> >>Since it's a one page portable wiki (no server required) it's
> >>completely cross platform - I can carry it around on a USB stick and
> >>edit it where ever I'm at.
> >>It's not a perfect solution, but it doesn't bug me so much I've
> >>replaced it yet.
> >
> >Mixing code and data is not my preffered method.
> >

> It's not really -  Is a pdf file mixing data and code?  or latex?

LaTeX and PostScript (though not PDF) allow a similar the same level
of programability that HTML+Javascript (as used in many browsers) does.

It is not often abused as in the way it is done in in tiddlyWiki . If
you have complex (La)TeX code in your document, you'd probably make it a
separate style / package.

> Wiki syntax is less 'code' then those - and the raw data is still
> there as entered when you hit the edit button the next time.

What happens when you find a bug in the code that implements the
interpetation of the wiki?

And how do I know that the document you give me doesn't really log all
of my details to your server? I have to re-inspect the code with each
and every document. It is javascript that is run locally on my system
and hence my browser assumes it is a bit more trustworthy.

Indeed tiddlyWiki.org is hosted on a mediawiki.

> I use it because I've come to rely pretty heavily on the easy linking
> to both internal and external data that wiki's provide.
>
> Latex and AsciiDoc (I looked very quickly) have that 'compile as a
> separate step' process I find irritating.   My output is in the
> format I need it in as soon as I hit the 'done' button, and still
> ready to be edited when I hit the 'edit' button.  Granted,  I don't
> have the wide range of output options provided by markup/compile
> cycle setups like Latex, but I don't need them....

But then again, everybody must use your code to view your data.