Re: Packages temporarily disappearing from Testing/Lenny

David wrote:

> Something I've noticed with Testing/Lenny is that packages often
> disappear for a short period (a few days or weeks) and then reappear.
> A few current examples: xmms and nvidia-glx. If you look on
> packages.debian.org they are in unstable and stable, but not testing.
> comix was also gone for a while but is back again.

There are many reasons why a package might not be in testing. I suggest you
go to http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/ to figure out why a particular package
is not in testing.

In your particular example, it seems
. xmms is not available in Debian (perhaps removed?).
. nvidia-glx is part of the source package nvidia-graphics-drivers which has
been in unstable for only 8 days. For packages to trickle into testing, the
normal urgency is 10 days.

There is also a command called grep-excuses which might be useful. See its
man page for more info.

$grep-excuses nvidia-graphics-drivers
nvidia-graphics-drivers (- to 169.12-1)
    Maintainer: Debian NVIDIA Maintainers
    Section: non-free/x11
    Too young, only 8 of 10 days old
    Ignoring high urgency setting for NEW package
    nvidia-glx/i386 unsatisfiable Depends: nvidia-kernel-169.12
    nvidia-glx/amd64 unsatisfiable Depends: nvidia-kernel-169.12
    nvidia-glx-ia32/amd64 unsatisfiable Depends: nvidia-kernel-169.12
    nvidia-kernel-source (i386, amd64) has new bugs!
    Updating nvidia-kernel-source introduces new bugs: #432182, #434379,
#474734, #462139, #437131, #460441
    nvidia-glx (i386, amd64) has new bugs!
    Updating nvidia-glx introduces new bugs: #441975, #443870, #438409,
#461184
    Not considered

hth
raju